Saturday 20 April 2013

Easter 4 8am Sunday 21st April 2013


My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me.

We’re still taking in Tom Irlam’s death.

The good shepherd theme leads me to reiterate what I shared at his funeral on Wednesday about  Lieutenant – sorry I said 'lootenant' on the day – Lieutenant Irlam’s days of active military service. He was evidently a leader who knew his men, and, I said, that encouraged me to be a shepherd who knows his sheep.

By that analogy I said he was my sheep dog at this service! We’re filling in the gaps for coordinating and serving and let’s work together on that.

We miss that voice, raised with its melodious Welsh flow. I’m afraid we 8 o’clockers have to be sheep not only who hear Jesus’ voice but sheep whose voices are heard by Jesus – and the priest his under shepherd. I’m sure Tom would back me in giving you this reminder – turn up the volume in your responses, brothers and sisters! Without his stentorian tones that marshalled voices in liturgy we now have an uncertain feel.

It couldn’t be as bad a feel as the description of St Giles’ worship 100 years ago from Land of hope and glory author Arthur Benson whose home was at Tremains with the Archbishop, his father’s widow Mary. Mary Benson’s biographer Rodney Bolt has a couple of strange anecdotes. One is the absent-minded Truro parson whose sister had to secure him to the altar rail with a dog chain and padlock to prevent him wandering off before the service was over. The second amusing story is of Mary’s attempts to get Arthur to church here at St Giles. In expressing his disdain Arthur described our worship here as ‘people penned in rows like sheep intermittently crying out together like ducks in a pool’. How very unkind!

My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me.
I must change gear into the substance of today’s scripture from which Tom’s demise has made for a sad but necessary diversion.

How do we hear God’s voice?

Reading the Bible, of course. I commend the new website resources mentioned in the news sheet, especially Bible Alive show as a means of getting insight into the readings used in the Lectionary for weekday eucharists. Systematic bible reading helps us more fully lay hold of the word of God as we give time to it and to trying to make sense of the difficult bits.

Besides Bible Alive I would commend New Daylight show from Bible Reading Fellowship, not least because they’ve recently commissioned me to write for them.

We can hear God’s voice speaking to us as parts of scripture light up as if they were written for us individually.

We can also hear God’s voice speaking through the preacher, yes, and also through people we know as they encourage or challenge us.

Then he speaks direct, yes, he does, and for that to happen we need a disposition to silent reflection. Be still and know that I am God says the Psalmist. Maybe a few minutes a day, to stop what we’re doing, sit and listen, perhaps after reading the Bible, maybe even after reading the paper. What would you like me to pray for from this morning’s Telegraph, or whatever?

My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me.

We serve a living God who is always present with us, always close to us, who loves us through and through, so we shouldn’t doubt he will speak to us when we ask him to.   Let’s use the silence now to listen to him as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment