Sunday 9 June 2013

The Letters of Saint Paul (2) Paul’s view of God Second of four sermons – Sunday 9th June 2013

To encourage us to pick up our Bibles more and follow up on what we have read to us on a Sunday I’m inviting you to look with me this summer at the letters of St Paul and what he teaches there about man, God, the Church and the future.

Last week, after some background on Paul himself, we looked at what he has to say about human nature, the good and bad in us and how we get our nature to be in its right mind. In Paul’s understanding we’ve got God’s likeness so God is within us - yet so is sin and the wonder of Christianity is the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ accepting us as we are, overcoming our deficiencies and making us more fully what we were born to be.

I said last week that Paul’s one of the most accessible of all biblical figures since we’ve got more biography and autobiography for him than we have even for Jesus himself. Today’s second reading is a brilliant example. 

The letter to the Galatians shows Paul’s irritated humanity but it also evidences how God took him, with all his imperfections, and made him his chosen instrument. I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it.  I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors.   But… God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles.

That passage stands alongside two accounts in the book of Acts of Paul’s conversion and it underlines to us the significance of the man and his writings for our Christian faith.

When God became one of us in Jesus it took the choice of another man to set forth the significance of that revelation.That man was Paul of Tarsus who lived from around 10AD to 64AD when he was most likely martyred in the Rome of Emperor Nero.

How then did Paul see God?

He saw, in Michael Ramsey’s analogy with a phrase in the Psalms, that ‘God is Christlike and in him in no unChristlikeness at all’. Because of the coming, death and resurrection of Jesus God is to be seen in a new and extraordinary fashion. He saw to quote Ephesians 2:4-6 that   God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved -and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

In witnessing to God’s love shown in Jesus’ death and poured into our hearts by his Spirit Paul announces a God whose unity is shown in the fellowship of three persons, as in 2 Corinthians 13:13: the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

To believe this is to believe God isn’t One but One God in three persons. Paul can write with particular authority because as he says in today’s reading I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. He received how God had sent his Son in our likeness to be our Saviour, something no one could have ever worked out for themselves but something God himself had demonstrated in human history – that God is a triune God.

As we might have read from Paul in two weeks time in Galatians Chapter 2, save the readings are changed for dedication feast, I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:19b-20

For Paul God is Christlike and would have us be the same. As Christ was crucified the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me so Paul speaks for himself of the life I now live being life with faith in the Son of God who now lives in him. As we heard last week human beings have sin within them that can be countered by inviting God’s loving presence to dwell within them on account of Jesus.

Christians are ‘J shaped’. The letter ‘J’ is like an ‘I’ pressed down that’ll spring up again. All through his letters, like in the Ephesians passage I just quoted, believers are said to die, get buried, rise and ascend just like Jesus. God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ — by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

What is true of God who in love came, died and rose is to be true of us Paul writes. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

The sacrament of baptism contains all of this potential shaping of our lives to be like God as Paul taught in his letter to Rome. I strongly commend reading Romans for more meat of the kind I am sharing. It is probably the most significant Christian writing and it’s shaped the Christian vision of God as much as words can ever shape that vision.  Do you not know Paul writes in Romans 6:3-4 that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

Paul’s view of God is inseparable from Jesus Christ with whom he has a mystical union. He looks at the Cross and sees our  cleansing from sin into holiness. He walks with the risen Lord Jesus who gives us newness of life. He witnesses in his writings how the Holy Spirit pours the love of Jesus into our hearts.

If you’ve no time to read much of Paul this week, at least try reading Romans Chapter 8. It’s one of my own purple passages that speaks of life and love in Jesus Christ. In verse 11 it speaks of God who gives life to (our) mortal bodies…through his Spirit that dwells in (us). It goes on in v28 of Romans 8 to say words of supreme encouragement: all things work together for good for those who love God. The last verse of Chapter 8 in the Message translation reads: Absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.


The letter to the Romans and Paul’s other twelve letters are a tonic to anyone’s Christian faith. Last week I mentioned how the four shortest letters could be remembered using the vowel alphabet – a, e, i, o – Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians. We’re reading Galatians on Sundays. Why not read Ephesians, full of God’s truth and readable in 20 minutes, or Philippians, just as short and full of joy or Colossians, again just 4 Chapters.  

My purpose this month and next is to give you a taster of Paul’s letters. You need more than a ten minute sermon to get into Paul’s wisdom on God and once again times up – though I’d again encourage you to put in extra time at home, pick up your bible and let Paul speak to you himself – and God through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment