Sunday 5 April 2015

Easter Day 2015

The Pope has declared next year a Jubilee year with the theme of mercy.

It got me thinking of how mercy is God’s great quality beyond reason that is revealed in the resurrection.

Its unreasonable human beings live beyond a reasonable lifespan.

Its unreasonable what exists should come out of what doesn’t exist.

Its unreasonable wrong doings held against us be lifted when we’re sorry for them.

Or that the power of sickness be broken by healing, the thrall of evil powers be lifted by deliverance.

Yet… I believe it is so!

I believe in Jesus Christ who on the third day rose again… in the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

In short I believe in mercy.

This morning Jesus Christ shows the triumph of mercy over judgement.

The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord Romans 6:23

Death and punishment for wrong follow reason but God’s mercy goes beyond reason!
In the letter of James Chapter 2 verse 13 it says Mercy triumphs over judgement and this is shown to us supremely this morning.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else. That lovely quote from C.S. Lewis is on his memorial stone in Westminster Abbey.

The Sun has risen this morning but this dawn is a dawning not just of light for 5th April but of light from the Spirit that opens inner eyes of faith so we see the Lord and, as Lewis says, once you’re Christian you see all things in the light of the Lord.

The light of mercy!

The mercy of Easter Sunday overcomes sin with unconditional joful acceptance. It does so as surely as Jesus forgave his first broken disciples their denial and betrayal of him.

The forgiveness of sins is inseparable from the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. The risen Christ announces the same on Easter night. Peace be with you he says to his broken, guilty followers. Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them. John 20:21-23

I believe in the resurrection! I believe in mercy!

God’s mercy triumphing over my judgment of myself.

The lie that I’m worthless, good for nothing and unworthy of being God’s child is countered by the blood Jesus shed for me. Shame has no hold on me once I give the risen Lord my sins.

God’s mercy triumphing over the judgment of others we’re so prey to. As resurrection children we’re not to be controlled or held captive to the judging of others. Jesus is going ever before us countering ‘tit for tat’, breaking the judgemental chains that snare us.

The community of the Resurrection, which is the Church, welcomes every outsider and especially those bound by the chains of judgment and pain.

For freedom Christ has set us free.

God’s Son came to love and free everyone on earth who’ll humble their pride, turn and follow him. So it is that we, as Jesus followers, come to be known by compassion for everyone no matter how rich, poor, sick or healthy they are.

To believe in Jesus risen is to believe in mercy.

God’s mercy triumphing over judgment.

The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Peace be with you… Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment